BHP / Onesteel / Arrium Whyalla Rolling Stock

BHP and its later spinoff Onesteel (now Arrium) operated a large and varied fleet of rolling stock over their narrow gauge and standard gauge lines. A few are illustrated below.

Details
Early 4-wheel ore hoppers, still in use as ballast hoppers at Whyalla, Aug 1978. These are the original 'Tarrawingee trucks', bought second-hand from the Tarrawingee Tramway at Broken Hill c.1900.
Photo: Peter Knife
The prototype bogie ore hopper (D1) in 1926. Experience with this vehicle resulted in a number of changes to the design for the first production batch (D2-D11) were built in the following year.
Photo: Martin Thobaven Collection
Standard D class ore hoppers trail DE03 and DE09 at Whyalla, 19 Aug 1978.
Photo: Peter Knife
AHOF and AHPF Classes

These modern hoppers have been built in four batches. They have a tare of 20 tonnes and a load of 76 tonnes, and are permanently coupled in pairs. Each pair is numbered as a single vehicle. @quot;Set numbers@quot; are also applied in large lettering on the wagon sides, with the two units in each pair suffixed @quot;-1@quot; and @quot;-2@quot;. Details of the various batches are as follows:

AHOF14601-14628 (56 hoppers), set numbers 01-1/01-2 to 28-1/28-2. Built by EDI Port Augusta in 2006-06.

AHOF14629-14656 (56 hoppers), set numbers 29-1/29-2 to 56-1/56-2. Built in China, delivered December 2008.

AHPF01-21 (42 hoppers), set numbers 57-1/57-2 to 77-1/77-2. Built in China, delivered March 2012.

AHPF14678-14715 (76 hoppers), set numbers 78-1/78-2 to 99-1/99-2 and 700-1/700-2 to 715-1/715-2. Built in China, delivered January-March 2013.

All the Chinese-built hoppers were shipped to the EDI workshops at Port Lincoln for setup before being moved by road to Whyalla.

Top right: AHOF14612 at the 13km peg on 8 Jun 2009. Note the original white set numbers and the later black ones. These EDI-built wagons were delivered with black ARG logos.

Middle: AHOF14656, the final vehicle in the second batch, same train as the above photo. This and later batches had the full-colour G&W logos applied.

Right: Half of AHPF14706 (fourth batch) at Port Lincoln on 17 March 2013, ready to be transferred to Whyalla. The clean yellow paint will soon be covered liberally with iron ore dust.

Photos: Peter Knife

One of the former electric locomotives from Iron Knob quarry was rebuilt as a guard's van for the pellet shuttle. It is seen here on 30 Aug 1970. Also visible is DH6 in original condition with central exhaust stacks against the cab.
Photo: Peter Knife
Three types of water tank wagon are illustrated here.

Photos: Martin Thobaven Collection