HCN Grain Hopper

Prev Next

Class HCN
Vehicle type Bogie grain hopper
First introduced 1978
To Port Lincoln 1978
Ex Port Lincoln  
Load capacity 36 tons (Dec 1984: 40 tons)
Number on Eyre Peninsula 40
Vehicle numbers HCN1-40

Originally CR NHB iron ore hoppers (NHB1007-1026 and 1571-1600) built 1968-69 by Tulloch Ltd for North Australia Railway. Forty vehicles lengthened and rebuilt as bulk grain hoppers by Islington 1978-80, to Port Lincoln as HCN1-40. Capacity 36 tons until Dec 1984, then 40 tonnes. Roof hatches replaced with roll-top covers 2001. HCN18 scrapped at Port Adelaide, May 2003.

HCN3 at Kyancutta in January 2006. Its roll-top actuator mechanism is visible, along with a number of panel patches (probably as a result of derailment damage). Photo: Richard Montgomery

Some of the ex-CR NHB hoppers were stored at Black Rock, just north of Peterborough, while awaiting rebuilding as HCNs at Islington Workshop. NHBs 1009, 1011, 1012, 1019, 1020, 1022, 1572, 1573, 1575, 1576, 1578, 1579, 1580, 1582, 1584, 1586, 1592, 1593, 1596 and 1598 were known to be at Black Rock in March 1979, and this photo probably shows some of those vehicles. Photo: Lionel Noble, John Evans Collection